Friday, October 12, 2007

Flower & Hayes vs. Bartholomae

When looking to compare and contrast the articles of Flowers and Hayes verus Bartholomae, I thought that there were a few main points to draw on. First off, I feel that all authors share the view that writing is not about the product, but the process. Bartholomae made important points like; a writer needing to be a part of a specific "community" when writing, and have authority over the subject matter. He also pointed out that sometimes college students don't feel like they are the authority figure, so they cannot make themselves part of that specific community.
Flower and Hayes talked more on the topic of the cognitive process theory and how writers stray from the usual format when writing. They also stress the importance of the 3 elements in writing: the task enviornment, writer's long term memory and the actual process of writing.
In this sense, I felt this was an area of difference between all three authors. On the other hand, all seemed to stress the importance of a writing and/or discourse community.

No comments: