Jacqueline Jones Royster
When the First Voice You Hear Is Not Your Own
I think everyone has to have been in an “experience that was a source of dissonance.” It’s impossible to avoid this. Personally, if I had to draw on one particular instance…well, this would be rather difficult, for I am not easily offended. However, the first thing that popped into my head took place last year.
My father, our family friends the DeCarls and I all went to this Italian restaurant. It was a very small space and, lucky for us, they had a musical guest that night. He was a bad Dean Martin impersonator (then again, are there any GOOD ones?? I mean, come on, there’s only one Dean Martin!). Anyways, he was loud, obnoxious and loud. In between songs he would talk to the “audience” (aka – people plugging their ears) and make bad jokes, etc. He took a cheap shot at every ethic group you could think of. I just thought it was in extremely bad taste, and I got even more annoyed because I couldn't say anything. Of course, what I wanted to do was stand up and call him out on his horrendous Dean Martin routine. But, as my mother always says “that would only bring you down to their level.” Thanks, mom.
This man thought he had the power and authority to act and speak as rudely as he did. This experience also made me more aware of my own identity. Being Italian, I was embarrassed. Ashamed to put myself in the same group as this man, who was also Italian.
I was definitely shoved out of my comfort zone for the evening!
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment